11 January 2018
Subaru launches EyeSight Driver Assist Technology at the Singapore Motorshow 2018
The newest addition to Subaru's suite of Core Technology
Singapore, 11 January 2018 – Motor Image, the exclusive distributor of Subaru vehicles across nine countries in Asia, today launched Subaru's EyeSight Driver Assist Technology at the Singapore Motorshow 2018.
Subaru vehicles have been known and praised for empowering drivers with confidence, comfort and safety as a result of Subaru's core technologies such as the Boxer Engine, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and Subaru Global Platform. EyeSight complements Subaru's core technologies, bringing safety to a whole new level.
"We are thrilled to finally launch the award-winning Subaru EyeSight technology at the Singapore Motorshow 2018. EyeSight completes Subaru's core technology pillars to present a wholesome and attractive package for customers who are looking for the highest standards of safety, driving performance and comfort in a car," said Mr Glenn Tan, Managing Director, Tan Chong International Limited.
EyeSight Driver Assist Technology:
EyeSight*1 is a driving support system that uses a range of functions to assist the driver, providing a safer and comfortable driving experience. Adding confidence to every trip, EyeSight uses stereo cameras to identify the surrounding vehicles, obstacles, traffic lanes and other items. Under the right circumstances, it will apply the brakes or reduce the throttle to minimise the risk of a collision.
When equipped with EyeSight, all 2017 Subaru models received the highest possible 2017 rating for front crash prevention by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in the United States. This advanced system provides extra awareness, safety, and added confidence every time drivers step behind the wheel.
The 6 main functions of EyeSight are:
- Pre-Collision Braking*2 - Pre-Collision Braking System warns the driver with a buzzer and a light on the dash. If the driver still does not take evasive action to avoid the collision, the system can automatically apply the brakes to reduce any impact or, if possible, prevent the collision. If the driver takes evasive action to avoid a collision, it helps prevent it from happening.
- Adaptive Cruise Control - Aside from maintaining the speed as the traditional cruise control set by the driver. Adaptive Cruise Control adjusts the speed to keep a set distance from the lead vehicle by monitoring the distance and the difference of the speed. It adjusts the engine, transmission, and brake to keep your speed in line with the traffic flow.
- Pre-Collision Throttle Management - When EyeSight sees an obstacle in front of you and you put the vehicle in Drive instead of Reverse, Pre-Collision Throttle Management sounds several short beeps, turns on a flashing indicator and cuts the engine output to help you avoid a frontal collision.
- Lane Departure Warning – When travelling at speeds of 50 km/h or more and you drift to the edge of your lane and begin to depart your lane without signalling, it warns you before you leave your lane.
- Lane Sway Warning - Lane Sway Warning helps you stay alert with a buzzer and a flashing indicator. It only activates at speeds of approximately 60 km/h or more.
- Lead Vehicle Start Alert - When you're at a stop and EyeSight senses that traffic has started moving again, Lead Vehicle Start Alert prompts the driver to take action with a buzzer and a flashing indicator.
Subaru's existing core technologies:
- Boxer Engine: Powering every vehicle in the Subaru line, the Subaru Boxer engine is renowned for its superior balance, smoothness and power delivery - and has been for over 50 years now. This horizontally opposed design boasts a low centre of gravity that helps create more balanced handling, flatter cornering and greater stability on every type of road.
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive: The heart of Subaru is the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system. It provides very precise steering response in corners, as well as stability when travelling at high speeds and in poor conditions. It has empowered drivers with confidence, comfort and safety for many decades.
- Subaru Global Platform: The new Subaru Global Platform is a brand-new revamp of Subaru's vehicle architecture, elevating overall vehicle performance and offering an unparalleled driving experience with optimised safety. In addition, the new platform is adaptable not only to gasoline engines but also to hybrid vehicles, plug-in hybrids, electric cars, and other types of alternative power units, future-proofing the next generation of Subaru vehicles.
The new Subaru's EyeSight Driver Assist Technology will further enhance drivers' driving experience and will be available on the Subaru Levorg, Outback and XV.
*1 EyeSight is a driving support system which may not operate optimally under all driving conditions.
*2 Pre-Collision Braking System may not work in all situations. Depending on the speed difference from objects, the object's height and other conditions, every situation may not meet the necessary conditions for EyeSight to work optimally.
*3 Specification data and model lineup may vary according to markets. For more information, please check with respective local Motor Image personnel.