- In a hot wok or sauce pan, heat the oil on medium to fragrant the garlic. Add the pork belly into the wok or pan and stir until browned on all sides.
- Add the mushrooms, dry shallots, sugar and five spice power. Continue to stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add rice wine and bring the wok to a boil.
- Add water and soy sauce and cover the wok. At low heat simmer and reduce the sauce.
- Allow the flavor to develop over an hour and half. Stir occasionally.
Taste to test. Depending on the soy sauce of your choice, the level of salt may need to be adjusted.
Enjoy the dish with soy sauce, eggs and pickled daikon.